Examples That Prove It's Good to Nap Everyday
Examples That Prove It's Good to Nap Everyday
1600
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-1600,single-format-standard,_masterslider,_ms_version_3.5.1,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,footer_responsive_adv,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-11.1,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.5.2,vc_responsive
 

6 Examples That Prove It’s Good to Nap Everyday

6 Examples That Prove It’s Good to Nap Everyday

It wasn’t long ago that it was almost ‘taboo’ for an adult to take regular naps. Now, as the world becomes more open-minded, it’s realized that napping isn’t just for kindergarten anymore. Here are six reasons, some based on science, others on pure awesomeness, why you should nap everyday and make catching some Zzz’s a part of your daily routine.

[separator size =”30″]
  1. Great People in our History Did it

Renegades, pioneers, habitual nappers. These adjectives describe some of the most important figures in history. John F. Kennedy would take daily afternoon naps after having lunch in bed. Winston Churchill napped, noting it helped him get twice as much done in a day. The likes of Einstein and Salvador Dali would take micro-naps, using the ‘slumber with a key’ method in which one holds a heavy key; once it hits the floor from dozing off, it abruptly awakens the sleeper.

[separator size =”20″]
  1. Europeans (especially the Spanish) Do it

We look to Europe for trends on fashion, gastronomy, and diplomacy; maybe it’s time  we look to them for advice on our sleeping habits. Spain is famous for its afternoon siesta, but it’s also common throughout Southern Europe and the Mediterranean, and those people seem pretty happy. Let’s make the midday siesta a part of American culture, shall we.

[separator size =”20″]
  1. Today’s Biggest Companies Are Doing it

People sleeping on the job. That’s exactly what you’ll see at some of the nation’s most innovative companies, offering nap rooms or sleep pods for their employees to use whenever they need to catch some shuteye. Perhaps the most known company for this is Google, but companies like The Huffington Post, Zappos, Nike, and Ben & Jerry’s all recognize the importance of a midday power nap. Overall, 16% of US employers provide a napping area for their workers. The other 84% need to catch up

[separator size =”20″]
  1. The Animal Kingdom Has Always Done It

Over 85% of mammals are polyphasic sleepers, which means they sleep for short periods throughout the day. While most children and elderly people would identify with this, the majority of adults are monophasic sleepers, meaning they have two distinct periods for sleep and for being awake; Science isn’t clear, however, if this is indeed the natural sleep pattern for humans.

[separator size =”20″]
  1. NASA Obsesses Over It

Being an astronaut is one of the most engulfing careers anyone can undertake. These people eat, sleep, and yes, even nap NASA. In fact, NASA has been one of the pioneers in the study of sleep science, discovering how sleep-deprived astronauts can recoup time lost sleeping. According to NASA, the optimal nap duration is 26 minutes, which in turn improves alertness by 54% and improved performance by 34%.

[separator size =”20″]
  1.  Less-Stressed People Enjoy It

Many Americans simply don’t get enough sleep, which can take a toll on their stress levels and in turn negatively affect their immune systems. Short naps can help one feel rejuvenated by reversing the hormonal impact of a poor night’s sleep and lowering blood pressure. People claim they just don’t have enough time to nap, but rather than look at it as a loss of time, they should look at it as an investment into being more productive when they’re actually awake.

[separator size =”30″]

Above are only a handful of reasons why napping is important, and why a lot of people should nap everyday if they can. Sleep deprivation is a real problem in the United States and in many parts of the world. The best mattresses, toppers, or pillows may help you sleep better, but you have to make sure you actually spend enough time using them to reap the benefits.