5 Foods That Keep You Awake at Night
We know that caffeine isn’t good before bedtime so we usually avoid coffee and energy drinks before bed, but what other foods can keep you tossing and turning at night. Here a few foods that keep you awake:[separator size=”30″]
- Wine – Late night glasses of wine may be the drink of choice for many, but it isn’t the best for a good night’s rest, nor is any form of alcohol. It metabolizes quickly and causes disruption of sleep, many of times for trips to the bathroom.[separator size=”20″]
- Cheeseburger – burgers can cause heartburn from their high-fat content, and all the simple carbs can leave you feeling sluggish in all the wrong ways. Adding bacon doesn’t help either.[separator size=”20″]
- Dark Chocolate – While in moderation dark chocolate can actually have many health benefits, it’s got more caffeine than milk chocolate, which can keep you up at night. Enjoy the dark stuff while it’s still light out.[separator size=”20″]
- Ice Cream – Snuggling up on the couch with a bowl of ice cream, watching Netflix sounds great, but it’s the dessert that might not let you dream. The high-fat content before bed is a bad move, but then you have the sugar pumping you full of energy, which could lead to a restless night.[separator size=”20″]
- Celery – A vegetable? While all of the above may be known to a bad bedtime snack, you wouldn’t expect to see a lowly vegetable on this list. However, celery is a natural diuretic, meaning it could be sending you to the bathroom in the middle of your REM sleep. Celery isn’t worth that.[separator size=”30″]
These are just a few foods that keep you up. On the flip side, there are foods that can make you sleepy, and prepare you for a good night’s rest. For those, head over to our article on 5 foods for better sleep.